- Show quoted text -
Free Web Counter

Thursday, April 21, 2005

The Emperor's New Scholars

If you click on the title and that link, it will take you to a most amazing story. I would say it is the funniest exposition of academia ever. What these 3 guys from MIT did was create a program that wrote gibberish research papers. They applied to some academic conference with their program and were accepted.
This is because academics don't read each other's shit nor understand it that well. Professors are professors because they have big egos and one of the things they do to reinforce their superiority is to write papers so full of technical jargon and big words that the meaning of what they are saying is lost. It is like a song where a guitarist just goes on solos constantly.
Professors are not the only ones. Insurance salesman I am sure insert too much insurance jargon in to their conversations at conferences and so do plumbers, pornstars, communists, hot dog vendors, engineers, and so on.
Just let professors know next time they go in to some "high and mighty I'm an academic/philsopher/ advanced thinker" that they are just like everyone else.
Good thing us bloggers don't use any jargon on the blogosphere, LOL.

3 Comments:

At 2:05 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh god, I saw that article! It's so funny. Good thing I'm at a college where my econ class, for example, hasn't taught me any economic terms beyond "recession" and "unemployment."

I guess I'm supposed to say I found your blog through blog explosion? And now that I've commented, does this mean I can kill some of your family members?

 
At 4:21 PM PDT, Blogger Clupbert said...

In my anthropology class we learned a lot about the need for diversity and environmentalism and then one time he said "neanderthal" and the class was confused. He then unconfused us when he went back to how europeans are evil.

Yes you can eliminate one family member, e-mail me for my step-dad's work address.

 
At 12:33 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hah, thanks for trying to leave a dumb comment and make me feel better about being a dumbass. It totally worked.

And that email is on its way. I just got a freakin twelve gauge, need to try it out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home